All Things IC’s Rachel Miller shares her perspectives on a damning Wall Street Journal report that contradicts years of glowing reviews for Netflix’s corporate culture. Also in this week’s episode:
- Can marketing maintain human connections while scaling up in social media?
- Mark Zuckerberg told analysts sharing is shifting away from the Facebook news feed to messaging apps and Stories
- A year after doubling its character count, Twitter finds tweets are getting shorter
- Fewer and fewer CEOs are maintaining a social media presence
- Google.org is looking to nonprofits to innovate ideas for using AI for social good
- You can now share your IGTV videos to Instagram Stories
- American men are ignorant of women’s workplace struggles
- 20,000 Google employees walked out over gender inequality
- Dan York reports on WordPress’s 5.0 beta, the Gutenberg editor and accessibility, a new “Activity” feature in Jetpack, and Flickr’s impending deletion of all but your 1,000 most recent photos.
Special thanks to Jay Moonah for the opening and closing music.
You can find the stories from which FIR content is selected at Shel’s Link Blog.
About Rachel Miller
Rachel Miller, founder of All Things IC, began her career as a journalist in 1999 and also worked in-house for a decade. She’s a regular keynote speaker and awards judge and has contributed to a number of best-selling books. She specializes in helping internal communicators succeed. As an experienced communicator, Rachel is a Fellow of both the Institute of Internal Communication and Chartered Institute of Public Relations; she’s also a Chartered PR Practitioner. Her in-house career included roles at London Overground, Novartis, Visa, Tube Lines, and Visteon. She also worked agency side for Sky, GSK and L’Oréal. CIPR named Rachel Outstanding Independent Practitioner in 2017 and she received the inaugural Best Individual Contribution to Internal Communication award.
Links from this week’s episode
- Doctor Death podcast
- Bear Brook podcast
- The Survivors podcast
- In a digital tech world, comms pros face challenge of scaling human engagement
- Chris Penn’s mid-term hashtag data analysis on Facebook
- Zuckerberg says the future is sharing via 100B messages & 1B Stories/day
- Despite 280-character expansion, short Tweets are still the norm
- The CEO’s Social Media Challenge
- Working together to apply AI for social good
- You can now share IGTV videos to your Instagram Story
- Google Walkout protest included 20,000 participants Friday
- US Survey: What Pay Gap? Men Less Aware of Women’s Workplace Struggles
- Netflix workplace culture often ‘ruthless, demoralizing,’ WSJ reports
- At Netflix, Radical Transparency and Blunt Firings Unsettle the Ranks
Links from Dan York’s report
- WordPress 5.0 Beta
- WordPress Accessibility Team Delivers Sobering Assessment of Gutenberg: “We have to draw a line.”
- Report on the Accessibility Status of Gutenberg
- What’s new in Gutenberg? (31st October)
- Call for Testers: Community Gutenberg Accessibility Tests
- Introducing Activity
- Flickr will end 1TB of free storage and limit free users to 1,000 photos
- A sharper focus for Flickr
- Why we’re changing Flickr free accounts